When it comes to ESG, we demand a lot of the companies we invest in. But to have credibility with clients, we need to hold ourselves to even higher standards.
Environmental, social and governance (ESG) is one of the hottest topics in our industry. So, it probably won’t come as a massive surprise that investors are asking us more and more questions about our approach to integrating ESG issues into our investment solutions.
Sometimes, however, we’re also asked about how we stack up against our own ESG criteria. The good news is that Aviva stacks up very well. Based on our proprietary ESG “Elements” score Aviva scores 8.6 out of 10 versus the sector average of five. With that in mind, here’re some of our “ESG” highlights you and your clients may find interesting.
- In 2006, we were the first global insurer to become ‘carbon neutral’.
- Aviva worked with the Scottish Government to launch one of the UK’s largest combined solar carports and energy storage facilities at our Perth office.
- We have replaced all standard lighting with efficient LED alternatives in all our UK offices.
- Aviva UK became single-use plastic free in 2019, saving seven million cups per year and over 50 tonnes in waste.
- We have a strategic partnership with the British Red Cross. Since the outbreak of COVID-19, we have committed an extra £10 million in response to the pandemic, one of the biggest single corporate donations ever received by the British Red Cross.
- The Aviva Community Fund has helped over 9,800 projects since 2015, with our people volunteering over 256,000 hours of their time.
- We encourage a diverse and inclusive workforce. Out of 31,200 employees, 52 per cent are female, as well as 38 per cent of the Aviva Group Executive Committee.
- We have a malpractice helpline, ‘Speak Up’, to provide employees with a confidential way of reporting any concerns to an independent investigation team, with a zero-tolerance policy for any acts of bribery or corruption.
- We work hard to ensure our supply chain is responsible and sustainable and ask our suppliers to sign our Supplier Code of Behaviour before working with them, as well as including a Living Wage clause in all appropriate contracts.
- We have a specific committee that oversees our responsible and sustainable business strategy and the policies that underpin it.
Except where stated as otherwise, the source of all information is Aviva Investors Global Services Limited (AIGSL). Unless stated otherwise any views and opinions are those of Aviva Investors. They should not be viewed as indicating any guarantee of return from an investment managed by Aviva Investors nor as advice of any nature. Information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable but has not been independently verified by Aviva Investors and is not guaranteed to be accurate. Past performance is not a guide to the future. The value of an investment and any income from it may go down as well as up and the investor may not get back the original amount invested. Nothing in this material, including any references to specific securities, assets classes and financial markets is intended to or should be construed as advice or recommendations of any nature. This material is not a recommendation to sell or purchase any investment.
In the UK this is issued by Aviva Investors Global Services Limited. Registered in England No. 1151805. Registered Office: St Helens, 1 Undershaft, London EC3P 3DQ. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm Reference No. 119178.