When it comes to ESG, we demand a lot of the companies we invest in. But to have credibility with clients, we need to hold ourselves to even higher standards.
Environmental, social and governance (ESG) is one of the hottest topics in our industry. So, it probably won’t come as a massive surprise that investors are asking us more and more questions about our approach to integrating ESG issues into our investment solutions.
Sometimes, however, we’re also asked about how we stack up against our own ESG criteria. The good news is that Aviva stacks up very well. Based on our proprietary ESG “Elements” score Aviva scores 8.6 out of 10 versus the sector average of five. With that in mind, here’re some of our “ESG” highlights you and your clients may find interesting.
- In 2006, we were the first global insurer to become ‘carbon neutral’.
- Aviva worked with the Scottish Government to launch one of the UK’s largest combined solar carports and energy storage facilities at our Perth office.
- We have replaced all standard lighting with efficient LED alternatives in all our UK offices.
- Aviva UK became single-use plastic free in 2019, saving seven million cups per year and over 50 tonnes in waste.
- We have a strategic partnership with the British Red Cross. Since the outbreak of COVID-19, we have committed an extra £10 million in response to the pandemic, one of the biggest single corporate donations ever received by the British Red Cross.
- The Aviva Community Fund has helped over 9,800 projects since 2015, with our people volunteering over 256,000 hours of their time.
- We encourage a diverse and inclusive workforce. Out of 31,200 employees, 52 per cent are female, as well as 38 per cent of the Aviva Group Executive Committee.
- We have a malpractice helpline, ‘Speak Up’, to provide employees with a confidential way of reporting any concerns to an independent investigation team, with a zero-tolerance policy for any acts of bribery or corruption.
- We work hard to ensure our supply chain is responsible and sustainable and ask our suppliers to sign our Supplier Code of Behaviour before working with them, as well as including a Living Wage clause in all appropriate contracts.
- We have a specific committee that oversees our responsible and sustainable business strategy and the policies that underpin it.
The value of an investment and any income from it can go down as well as up and can fluctuate in response to changes in currency exchange rates. Investors may not get back the original amount invested.
Investments can be made in derivatives, which can be complex and highly volatile. Derivatives may not perform as expected, meaning significant losses may be incurred.
Investments can be made in emerging markets. These markets may be volatile and carry higher risk than developed markets.
Except where stated as otherwise, the source of all information is Aviva Investors Global Services Limited ("Aviva Investors"). Unless stated otherwise any opinions expressed are those of Aviva Investors. They should not be viewed as indicating any guarantee of return from an investment managed by Aviva Investors nor as advice of any nature.
The value of an investment and any income from it can go down as well as up. Investors may not get back the original amount invested.
The Aviva Investors Multi‐asset Funds comprise two ranges, each with five funds (together the “Funds”):
Aviva Investors Multi-asset Plus Fund range comprises the Aviva Investors Multi‐ asset Plus Fund I (“MAF Plus I”), the Aviva Investors Multi‐asset Fund Plus II (“MAF Plus II”), the Aviva Investors Multi‐asset Plus Fund III (“MAF Plus III”), the Aviva Investors Multi‐asset Plus Fund IV (“MAF Plus IV”) and the Aviva Investors Multi‐asset Plus Fund V (“MAF Plus V”).
Aviva Investors Multi-asset Core Fund range comprises the Aviva Investors Multi‐ asset Core Fund I (“MAF Core I”), the Aviva Investors Multi‐asset Fund Core II (“MAF Core II”), the Aviva Investors Multi‐asset Core Fund III (“MAF Core III”), the Aviva Investors Multi‐asset Core Fund IV (“MAF Core IV”) and the Aviva Investors Multi‐asset Core Fund V (“MAF Core V”).
The Funds are sub‐funds of the Aviva Investors Portfolio Funds ICVC. For further information please read the latest Key Investor Information Document and Supplementary Information Document. The Prospectus and the annual and interim reports are also available on request. Copies in English can be obtained free of charge from Aviva Investors UK Fund Services Limited, St Helen’s, 1 Undershaft, London EC3P 3DQ. You can also download copies from our website.
Issued by Aviva Investors UK Fund Services Limited. Registered in England No 1973412. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm Reference No. 119310. Registered address: St. Helen's, 1 Undershaft, London, EC3P 3DQ. An Aviva company.