(London): Euan Munro, Chief Executive Officer of Aviva Investors, the global asset management business of Aviva plc (‘Aviva’), has been named ‘Innovator of the Past 20 Years’ at the Financial News 20th Anniversary Awards for Excellence in European Finance. The gala dinner and awards ceremony was held on 26 May in London to celebrate two decades of achievement by the top individuals and companies in European finance.
Euan, a physics and electronics graduate from Edinburgh University, joined Aviva Investors as CEO in January 2014 and was instrumental in the launch of the Aviva Investors Multi Strategy (AIMS) range in July that year, less than six months after he joined the business. The two strategies in the range, AIMS Target Return and AIMS Target Income, currently have over £5 billion under management.* Euan is Strategic Adviser on the portfolios and chairs the Strategic Investment Group, a company-wide forum that provides the portfolio’s managers with investment ideas.
In its summary for the award, Financial News noted that Euan “has launched not one, but two revolutions,” at Aviva Investors and Standard Life Investments, where he was the chief architect of the Global Absolute Return Strategies fund.
An investment consultant who was part of the judging panel said:
“I remember him coming to see me 15 years ago with this amazing idea for a fund that would seek absolute returns and reduced volatility, a great diversifier for pension funds. I had to go sit down in a darkened room for a while to get my head around what he was saying. He invented and brought to market, in the diversified-growth funds space, a remarkable and successful product at a time when pension funds were clamouring for something a little bit different. It has enjoyed huge success.”
Another judge commended Euan for replicating that success since joining Aviva Investors in 2014 and said he had awarded Munro top marks for: “doing it, and doing it again. It’s one thing to develop a great product once. You could say that was getting lucky. But to repeat that and demonstrate a new track record at a new company, and to innovate again with a slightly different product, that’s what drove my vote. He is someone I admire.”
Financial News has been providing news and analysis on the City of London and the broader European financial sector for nearly 20 years. With 40,000 paid online subscribers and a weekly newspaper, it is the UK’s largest publication with a focus on wholesale finance and markets. Full details of the awards can be found here: http://fn20.efnevents.com/
* £5.3 billion as at 31 April 2016.
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
The information and opinions contained in this document are for use by the financial press and media only, and do not purport to be full or complete. No reliance may be placed for any purpose on the information or opinions contained in this document nor should they be seen as advice.
The value of an investment and any income from it may go down as well as up and the investor may not get back the original amount invested.
The press release is provided on the basis that Aviva Investors Global Services Limited is not causing the communication of a financial promotion under exemption of the Financial Promotion Order, as Aviva Investors Global Services Limited has no control over the way in which an article based on this press release is prepared and published by the financial press and media.
Except where stated as otherwise, the source of all information is Aviva Investors Global Services Limited (“Aviva Investors”) as at 1 June 2016.
Aviva Investors is the global asset management business of Aviva plc. The business delivers investment management solutions, services and client-driven performance to clients worldwide. Aviva Investors operates in 15 countries in Asia Pacific, Europe, North America and is headquartered in the United Kingdom with assets under management of £290 billion as at 31 March 2016.
- Aviva provides 29 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.*
- We are one of the UK’s leading insurers and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- We have operations in 16 countries and provide life, general and health insurance and asset management under our well recognised brand.
- We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media/ includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
- For an interactive introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/library/reports/this-is-aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/video/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
*Figures based on Aviva plc Annual Report and Accounts 2014