Aviva Investors commits to Montreal carbon pledge
Aviva Investors, the global asset management business of Aviva plc (‘Aviva’) has signed up to the Montreal Carbon Pledge. Launched by the Principles for Responsible Investment, the pledge is a commitment to measuring and publically disclosing the carbon footprint of investment portfolios on an annual basis.
As part of the pledge, signatories agree to publish their carbon footprint annually on their website, annual report, sustainability report, responsible investment report or other publicly visible client/beneficiary reporting channel by
1 December 2015. Signatories must also inform the PRI of the proportion of assets under management that have been measured. Aviva Investors intends to pilot carbon foot-printing on a sample of equity portfolios. A decision to expand the scope will be made following a review of the findings and client feedback.
In July, Aviva launched its strategic response which set out five carbon pillars – integrating climate risks into investment decisions, investment in low carbon infrastructure, supporting strong policy action on climate change, active stewardship on climate risk and divesting where necessary.
As institutional investors, we firmly believe that we have a duty to act in the best long-term interests of our beneficiaries. As a business, we are clear that there are long-term investment risks associated with climate change.
Chief Executive Officer
Euan Munro, Chief Executive, Aviva Investors, said:
“As institutional investors, we firmly believe that we have a duty to act in the best long-term interests of our beneficiaries. As a business, we are clear that there are long-term investment risks associated with climate change.
“By signing up to this pledge, we are pleased to be one of the largest asset managers supporting this initiative as part of our overall strategy of calling for industry and government action on climate change. We support greater transparency on carbon risk, however good quality carbon foot-printing relies on good quality carbon data. There are still significant gaps in disclosure which is why we will also continue to advocate better data to support this.”
Fiona Reynolds, managing director of the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) said:
“We are delighted to welcome Aviva Investors to the group of over 70 investors who have signed the Montreal Carbon Pledge. Aviva has a long and established track record in looking at ESG issues. By signing the Pledge, they have added another achievement to their already impressive responsible investment credentials.”
More information on the pledge can be found here: http://montrealpledge.org/
Further details of Aviva’s response can be found here: http://www.aviva.com/media/thought-leadership/climate-change-value-risk-investment-and-avivas-strategic-response/
For more information contact:
Aviva Investors Media Relations
+44 (0)20 7809 8452
Aviva Investors Media Relations
+44 (0)20 7809 6252
Notes to Editors
The information and opinions contained in this document are for use by the financial press and media only, and do not purport to be full or complete. No reliance may be placed for any purpose on the information or opinions contained in this document nor should they be seen as advice.
The value of an investment and any income from it may go down as well as up and the investor may not get back the original amount invested.
The press release is provided on the basis that Aviva Investors Global Services Limited is not causing the communication of a financial promotion under exemption of the Financial Promotion Order, as Aviva Investors Global Services Limited has no control over the way in which an article based on this press release is prepared and published by the financial press and media.
Except where stated as otherwise, the source of all information is Aviva Investors Global Services Limited (“Aviva Investors”) as at X August 2015.
Aviva Investors is the global asset management business of Aviva plc. The business delivers investment management solutions, services and client-driven performance to clients worldwide. Aviva Investors operates in 15 countries in Asia Pacific, Europe, North America and the United Kingdom with assets under management of £263 billion as at 30 June 2015.
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 34* million customers, across 16 markets worldwide
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £24.6 billion in benefits and claims in 2014.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
* Before the deduction of Aviva and Friends Life overlapping customers.